Russian cinema

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Sun Feb 24 12:18:11 PST 2002

At 01:50 PM 02/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Country which has an amazing film industry, though I
>have no idea who's funding it, is Russia. Some great
>films (seen by practically noone in the west) have
>come out of there in the last five years. How is this possible?

I grew up watching Russian movies (in Romania)...the WWII movies were amazing and a couple of years ago I went to see the film version of "Lady and the Dog." It's really hard to believe that anyone could make a good movie of a very beautiful but fragile Chekhov story, but the movie was outstanding.

In the last five years, I've only seen "Prisoner of the Mountains"...which was pretty good. What else do you recommend?

Joanna