Soviet philosophy

Chris Doss chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Feb 25 01:14:30 PST 2002

Heideggerianism, or a certain interpretation thereof, is quite popular among pan-Slavist Great Russian intellectuals like Alexander Dugin (who used to be in the National Bolshevik Party by had a falling out and is now a neo-liberal ideologue of Putinism -- though I doubt Putin has ever heard of him).

Chris Doss The Russia Journal ---------------------------

I heard Susan Buck-Morss give a talk the other day. She recounted some of her experiences visiting the USSR in its final days, and a circle of philosophers and other scholars she'd befriended. At a meeting with some other Western visitors, one of the Soviets said he'd been reading Heidegger. One of the Westerners brought up H's Nazi connections, and the Soviets said - "So what? We don't care! He's bourgeois, and that's why we're reading him!"

Doug