Russian cinema

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Feb 26 07:42:12 PST 2002

> Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 12:18:11 -0800
> From: joanna bujes <joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com>
> Subject: Re: Russian cinema
>
> At 01:50 PM 02/24/2002 -0500, you wrote:
> >Country which has an amazing film industry, though
> >have no idea who's funding it, is Russia. Some
> great
> >films (seen by practically noone in the west) have
> >come out of there in the last five years. How is
> this possible?
>
> In the last five years, I've only seen "Prisoner of
> the Mountains"...which
> was pretty good. What else do you recommend?

I can never remember the names of any of these directors. All those consonants overload my brain I think. There was a pretty good article on Russan Cinema in a recent edition of a US film journal (can't remember which one - I'll see if I can dig it out).

Two of my favourites are:

Aleksei Balabanov has made a couple of interesting arthouse films (him of Brother fame). My favourite is "Of Freaks and Men" (Review here: http://www.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/2000_05/freaks.html). A great, freakish, film.

Aleksandr Sokurov is very much the heir apparent to Tarkovsky (had a similar relationship to the Soviet government as well).

And of course on the subject of Eastern European film industries. Hungary has Bela Tarr (who mostly seems to get German funding these days), and there are a couple of decent Czech and Polish directors.