lbo-talk-digest V1 #5716

Tahir Wood twood at uwc.ac.za
Mon Feb 25 03:19:48 PST 2002

I don't really believe in "sociology" as some freestanding methodological pursuit so I'd hardly believe that adding an ideologically tinged adjective would suddenly make it transmute into some singular endeavor.

Tahir: This was my original point. CB argued otherwise.

There are lots of sociologists who consider themselves Marxists. To say much more is pretty much a dead end of debate.

Tahir: I'll accept the consensus on that and stop if necessary (but then again maybe I won't). But to say there are lots of sociologists who consider themselves marxist doesn't even come close to my original point. I think there are lots of trade unionists who consider themselves marxist, for example; this doesn't mean that I would go to their trade union publications to learn about marxism.