A Question

L A Hazard lahazard at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 25 12:42:34 PST 2002

I have a question that I hope some around here can help me with. While I can find literally hundreds of references to the concept that if a corporation (or even small business) finds it cheaper to break a law and pay any resulting fines IF they get caught than to abide by the law/regulation in the first place, I am having a very difficult time tracking down specific examples where this has been documented. What I am looking for is documentation that shows what it would have cost a company to obey the law/regulation, what their actual fines - if any - were for breaking it and how it diminished or increased their "profits." My goal is to determine how much is myth and what the reality is. Any suggestions of where to look, links, references, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

L. A. Hazard