query

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 26 07:58:44 PST 2002

Dennis wrote:

> > On what census was Allen Ginsberg relying when he asked America, in
>> the poem of the same name, when it would be worthy of its million
>> Trotskyites?
>>
>> Doug
>
>I think it was merely poetic license -- a million sounds nice and round and
>rolls easily into the hardness of "Trotskyites." In an early version,
>Ginsberg had "million Christs," which I prefer, but which he obviously
>spurned for something more secular.

Well gosh, folks, I know there was no formal census - I was joking. But I'd always thought of American trot'ism as pretty small and marginal (except maybe the Mpls general strike way back when), esp compared to the CPUSA. Was there a perception in the 1950s that the land was crawling with Lev's progeny?

Doug