Zizek interview

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Feb 28 11:35:20 PST 2002

Leaving aside the stuff about LP, back to Zizek.

I really liked the stuff at the end of the interview about the multicultural "storytelling" ethic, but the bit about smoking is dubious at best:

"Let's take the campaign against smoking in the U.S. I think this is a much more suspicious phenomenon than it appears to be. First, deeply inscribed into it is an idea of absolute narcissism, that whenever you are in contact with another person, somehow he or she can infect you. Second, there is an envy of the intense enjoyment of smoking. There is a certain vision of subjectivity, a certain falseness in liberalism, that comes down to 'I want to be left alone by others; I don't want to get too close to the others.'"

Second hand smoke is a fairly well documented public health issue. Do we really need this tortured psychoanalytic explanation for why people don't want to breathe a cancerous substance?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Miles