Fw: [anti-capitalism] Unrest continues in Argentina

Joe R. Golowka joeG at ieee.org
Tue Jan 1 13:07:12 PST 2002

-- Joe R. Golowka JoeG at ieee.org Anarchist FAQ - http://www.anarchyfaq.org

"The great means for the defense of the revolution remain as ever that of depriving the bourgeoisie of the economic means by which they rule, of arming everyone (until such time as they can be induced to toss their weapons aside as useless and dangerous toys) and of interesting the great mass of the population in victory. If to win, we have to set up the gallows in the public square, I would prefer to lose." - Errico Malatesta ----- Original Message ----- From: "Barry Stoller" <bstoller at utopia2000.org> To: <kominform at lists.EUnet.fi>; <ANTINATO at topica.com>; <anti-capitalism at yahoogroups.com>; <UK_Left_Network at yahoogroups.com>; <che-list at yahoogroups.com>; <pttp at yahoogroups.com>; <IMF-WB-Protest-Discuss at yahoogroups.com> Sent: Tuesday, January 01, 2002 5:33 PM Subject: [anti-capitalism] Unrest continues in Argentina

> [...]
> Sunday left the country without any clear leadership and, even worse,
> without a concise economic plan to pull Argentina - long Latin America's
> most prosperous country - back from virtual bankruptcy after four years
> of deep recession.
>
> Emerging as the likely candidate to fill the post is Sen. Eduardo
> Duhalde, a Peronist Party political boss and fierce critic of the
> free-market policies undertaken by the government over the past 10
> years.
>
> While Duhalde appeared to have the backing of many in his party,
> political infighting has gripped the Peronist party, which controls both
> houses of Congress and is now the country's leading political force.
>
> One faction appeared to favor calling general elections to elect a new
> president in March, while another wants to appoint a leader to serve out
> the remainder of de la Rua's term through 2003.
>
> "Argentines must be allowed to elect a new president," said Jose Manuel
> de la Sota, an influential Peronist governor. "It's the only way we can
> move forward to lift this country out of this disaster."
>
> Worried about the political and economic upheaval, Gov. Carlos Ruckhauf,
> who controls Buenos Aires province, appealed for "a government of
> national salvation" made up members of all the political parties.
>
> Duhalde is a two-time governor of Argentina's powerful Buenos Aires
> province, and two years ago he was resoundingly beaten by de la Rua in a
> bid for the presidency. His stint as governor was marred by heavy
> spending that racked up high debts for Buenos Aires. Charges of
> corruption against figures in his government also surfaced, though he
> was not touched personally.
>
> Some Argentines seemed to worry about a possible Duhalde administration.
>
> "He's the kind of politician the people have been saying they no longer
> want leading this country," said Jorge Ocampo, a 38-year-old
> electrician.
>
> "The problem is that there aren't any alternatives; our political
> leaders are all either scarred by charges of corruption or seen as part
> of the system."
>
> Whoever is appointed will face down an economy that has ground to a
> halt.
>
> Thousands of police had their leave cancelled ahead of the vote and
> extra guards were drafted in to protect the government palace and
> congress buildings, the scenes of violent demonstrations at the weekend.
>
> Some 45,000 police were on standby in and around the capital, with
> soldiers also helping guard the nearby government palace known as the
> Casa Rosada.
>
> It is the worst crisis since the interruption of democracy by a 1976-83
> dictatorship.

> Barry Stoller
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ProletarianNews

> Win a Capcom Console Game of Your Choice Or Even a Capcom Arcade System.
Click Here to Enter.