Robert Fisk

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Fri Jan 4 04:50:36 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi:
> I don't expect you, Brad, & Luke to respond to an attack on your
> person by a mob of the oppressed in the manner that Robert Fisk did,
> if you find yourself in a like situation. You are entitled to your
> own feelings. It seems to me, however, that there is no reason you
> should act as if you were cheated just because Fisk didn't respond in
> a way you think he should, e.g., equating an Afghan mob with a mob of
> white supremacists. What's the beef, really?

I suppose Fisk's work is damaging to the repute of the imperial enterprise, therefore Fisk must be neutralized; but a detailed attack on his work would involve the further exposition of the very material which renders it offensive. Therefore, it is preferable to seize on a purely rhetorical offense, to wit, the excessive use of a common hyperbole ("If I was him Ida ..."). If you don't like the message, and can't stop the messenger, you can deplore the shape of his hat. Anything to get off the repulsive subject.

-- Gordon