Negri on globo

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Sat Jan 5 14:05:31 PST 2002

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002, Doug Henwood crossposted:

> <http://slash.autonomedia.org/article.pl?sid=02/01/05/003250>.
> This translation is the work of Ed Emery.
>
> command over work, but that is quite another thing. When we talk
> about exodus, we are trying successfully to construct new forms of
> life.

Bob Marley's "Exodus" was one of the greatest musical documents of the 1970s, and I'd argue that aesthetics, in its largest sense as the sphere of the use-values of the consumer culture, is the battleground Negri is trying to decode here.

> "Hardt and I have perhaps used a method which is a bit mechanistic in
> translating the workerist (operaista) schema to the international
> level, but what was satisfying was to find the whole of post-colonial
> literature aligned with our position. The whole of the great Indian
> school functions in these terms!

Postcolonial lit, film, video, and media culture collectively represent one of the more astonishing interventions of the multinational proletariat. My own sneaking suspicion is that postcolonial theory has been converging with postmodernism for some time now, and that the theory-market in general has a messianic appointment with Adorno's negative dialectics, awakening from its 35-year chrysalis like a certain giant scaly lizard we could all name from beneath Monster Island.

> "The concept of multitude. From the scientific point of view it is
> still very young as a concept. We are launching it in order to see if
> it works. But when, in defining the new proletariat, we speak of
> multitude, we are speaking of a plurality of subjects, of a movement
> in which cooperating singularities are at work. There is an
> absolutely huge difference with the concept of class. The multitude
> works, is completely exploited, but it puts itself together through
> the Net, through connections, through cooperation and language.

This is probably a translation issue -- Negri is trying to critique the ossified concept of class handed down by the Eurocommunist parties, as opposed to tossing out the notion of capital and capitalism.

What does Negri think about the possibilities of the EU?

-- Dennis