Negri on globo

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 5 15:28:33 PST 2002

--- Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu> wrote: >

> Doug Henwood wrote:
> >
> > The latest from that enemy of the Third World &
> the working class -
> > isn't that right, Carrol?
>
> I have no particular opinion whatever on Toni Negri
> as a person. I don't
> know enough about him. I do know that those who have
> accepted the
> concept of the multitude as a political category
> express that acceptance
> mostly in terms opposing effective working-class
> organization as
> "authoritarian."

Well a lot of them were. Quite a lot of the unions ended up being run for the benefit of those in charge, rather than the workers. A fair number of trotskyist/stalinist organisers were advancing their own political ambitions over those of their charges. Just because it's a working-class organisation, doesn't necessarily make it a good thing.