Sex offenders and the 'net

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 7 09:24:27 PST 2002

>Even though my instint is telling me otherwise, I
>would think that once a convicted sex offender is out
>on parole, with his tracking device firmly attached to
>his body should be able to surf the internet
>unhindered, you know--free speech and all....But soon
>he won't be able to...

Surfing the net isn't a form of speech. Whether restrictions on using the net to communicate things that are speech are reasonable time place and manner restrictions on that speech depends. If a sexcual predator has been using the net to entice children to have sex, why wouldn;t it be a reasonable restriction to prohibitr him from using the net at all? And if the price of using it at all is survellience, why isn't that raesonable? Though how would it beenforced, since the pervert could use someone else's computer. jks