Anarchist website targets Christians

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Mon Jan 7 16:59:22 PST 2002

I might mention that last year around the election time I made some unkind comments about Bush in some Internet Chat clubs. As a result, I got an email from a Christian Fundamentalist telling me that I "should be in jail where someone could read the Bible to me all day long." She also told me that she and her "friends" had contacted the Secret Service about me. Sure enough about a week later, 2 Secret Service agents came to my house (with a huge folder on me which I, of course, was not allowed to view).

Nothing happened and I never heard back from the SS. I am quite sure that had this happened after 9/11 things would have been different. Thomas

No shit? Amazing. Right here in Sodom? Or do you live south, nearer to Thou, in the land of the faithful?

But listen, you should have taken her advice. Read the Bible, daily. I try to. It is an amazing piece of cruel, pityless, imperialistic, racist, sexist, homophopic hate mongering.

I would say, so far (up to Samuel 1) about the only remotely humanistic passage is the Book of Ruth, On the Thrashing Floor. Here is a passage from Anna Karenina which is something like the image I had in my mind when I read the tale of Ruth:

``The day on which Sergey Ivanovitch came to Pokrovskoe was one of Levin's most painful days. It was the very busiest working time, when all the peasantry show an extraordinary intensity of self-sacrifice in labor, such as is never shown in any other conditions of life, and would be highly esteemed if the men who showed these qualities themselves thought highly of them, and if it were not repeated every year, and if the results of this intense labor were not so simple.

To reap and bind the rye and oats and to carry it, to mow the meadows, turn over the fallows, thrash the seed and sow the winter corn--all this seems so simple and ordinary; but to succeed in getting through it all everyone in the village, from the old man to the young child, must toil incessantly for three or four weeks, three times as hard as usual, living on rye-beer, onions, and black bread, thrashing and carrying the sheaves at night, and not giving more than two or three hours in the twenty-four to sleep. And every year this is done all over Russia.

Having lived the greater part of his life in the country and in the closest relations with the peasants, Levin always felt in this busy time that he was infected by this general quickening of energy in the people...'' (chp 11)