Negri on globo

jeffrey fisher jfisher at igc.org
Tue Jan 8 20:40:43 PST 2002

been following the longshoremen conflict in washington state?

"Average pay for members of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) ranges from $105,278 to $167,122, depending on the job category. Part-time workers on the docks can earn as much as $70,000 a year. (((part-timers!!!)))

. . .

"The shippers group also says they would protect the money in the longshoremen's 401(k) savings plans and provide training for new jobs on the docks." http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64399-2002Jan4.html

are those people still "proletariat"? "working class"? or are they "capitalists"? "bourgeoisie"? if they save their money (in a savings account or a 401(k)) or spend it like good consumers? or both?

just wondering.

maybe, as carrol says, "borderline cases make very bad class analysis" because any notion of class that can either be built on or destroyed by such "limit cases" is a fundamentally flawed notion of class. i think that's what we're talking about here. and here's at least one binary that yoshie seems to be working with -- you're either with us or against us. you're prole or you're capitalist pig, working class or bourgeoisie. in the club (a "member") or out. and her way of talking about it, imo, begs ian's questions: when are you in and when are you out?

not to assume that ian's after what i am . . .

jeff