Visualizing Congress

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed Jan 9 04:44:12 PST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002 07:20:34 -0500 "Nathan Newman" <nathan at newman.org> writes:
> It's a pretty simple animated graph-- it shows how much individuals
> votes
> are different from either their own parties' positions or the mean
> of the
> other parties' votes over a hundred year period.
>
> What are the parties disagreeing on? Whatever there is to vote on,
> which is
> all a legislator can disagree upon--- if there is no amendment
> offered on
> socializing the oil company, it really doesn't matter whether a
> candidate
> would have voted for it, does it?

Isn't that the point in contention here? The fact that a rather limited range of issues upon which there is only a limited range of disagreement ever comes into play in our political system. I would suggest that Charles Jannuzi is correct. Despite the statisitical polarization between the two major parties, there is little fundamental divergence between them in terms of worldviews. The Democrats are not about to propose legislation for nationalizing the oil companies nor even for taking over the healthcare industry any time soon.

Jim F.