Visualizing Congress

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jan 9 14:20:17 PST 2002

The most right-ward member of the PC is well off the median; the median member of the PC much more so.

The PC concentration on stimulus reflects the lack of commitment to spending without the excuse of a recession.

My $50B number refers to their proposed *budget* last year. Single-payer was not in their *budget*, their endorsement of it notwithstanding. We've given Bush a lot of flack because he never put foward a *budget*, so the PC *budget* is fair game in the same terms.

The sum of whatever individual members support separately is not very important politically. What matters is a proposal for taxes and spending with some minimal level of internal consistency that commands some kind of group support, also known as a fiscal policy or *budget.*

mbs