Soviet Union Better Than Yeltsin WAS Lenin

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 11:59:27 PST 2002

It is not hard for me to believe that the Soviet Union was preferable to Yeltsinite Russia.

However, I have spoken to too many Russian coworkers who have described the SU in dismal terms to believe that the SU was a wonderful place to live.

So, I take it that the SU was just the lesser of two evils; not that the SU is something that revolutionaries would hope to return to.

For that matter, I can remember progressive Iranian students telling me that they were better off under the Shah than under Khomeini. At least, they could have some semblance of a life under the Shah. Yet, that does not mean Iranians should fight for the return of the Shah. It just means that the Shah was the lesser of two evils, as it turned out.

Thomas

===== "The tradition of all the dead generations

weighs like a nightmare on the brain of the living"

-Karl Marx