formatting email

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Fri Jan 11 14:41:42 PST 2002

I wrote a little utility that reformats text to remove all the > characters and normalize the whitespace, transforming something like this:

> [...]
> a partner in
> >the law firm of Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver and Jacobson.
> In that capacity
> >he represented accounting firm Arthur Andersen, Enrons auditor,
> which
> >disclosed in a press release dated yesterday, that in recent
> months
> >individuals in the firm involved with the Enron engagement disposed
> of
> >a significant but undetermined number of electronic and paper
> documents
> >and correspondence related to the Enron engagement.
> >
> >This is significant because Andersen, one of the big five accounting
> firms,
> >had routinely signed off on falsified financial statements concealing
> almost
> >$20 billion in off-balance-sheet debt from stock and bond holders,
> >regulatory agencies and Enron employees. Many of Enrons pre-bankruptcy
>
> >20,000 employees were barred by the company from cashing in
> their 401(k)
> >retirement plans, primarily consisting of Enron stock, while
> key
> >executives including Chairman Kenneth Lay, former President
> and CEO
> >Jeff Skilling, and CFO Andrew Fastow reportedly personally made
> more
> >than $1 billion selling Enron shares before the collapse.
> >
> >SEC spokeswoman Christi Harlan told FTW, The Chairman filed
> an agreement
> >that he would recuse himself from votes in any matters where
> he had a
> >conflict of interest. The investigation is being run by the
> enforcement
> >division and they keep him [Pitt] advised.
> >
> >Once the Commission launches an investigation to go forward
> they just do
> >their thing. Theres no requirement for a vote until an action
> is
> >recommended.
> >
> >Harlan stated that the enforcement division acts autonomously
> from any input
> >from the Chairmans office and that the head of the division
> has management
> >oversight for any investigations. This appears to be a different
> SEC practice
> >from the long-respected partnership of SEC chairman Arthur Levitt
> and
> >enforcement director Richard Walker who were known as a team
> for their
> >single-minded and thorough non-partisan investigation of securities
>
> >violations in the 1980s and 90s. Walker was recruited by Deutschebank
>
> >shortly after the attacks of
> >September 11th, 2001.
> >
> >When asked if, in spite of his past representation of Andersen,
> Pitt was
> >confident that there would be no conflict of interest or any
> resultant
> >influence on the Enron probe, Harlan said, Absolutely!

into this:

ENRON CONFLICTS OF INTEREST IN SEC AND GAO THREATEN CREDIBILITY OF INVESTIGATIONS

Enron Exploding May Connect to Money Laundering

[...]

<--->

Feel free to use it.

// mark