formatting email

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Sat Jan 12 09:52:10 PST 2002

Hakki Alacakaptan:
> Thanks but wouldn't client-side script have been better for your server
> (though it would mean releasing your code)?

An excellent suggestion, thanks. I posted the source code and I'm currently whipping up a JavaScript version. I don't care about releasing code. It years to be free. ;-)

> I wonder if you could help me with another problem: Charles Januzzi's and
> Bryan Atkinski's posts show up in my Outlook (PC) folder view without a
> "From" field. All headers are displayed as message text in the
> viewer - they
> should be hidden - and the From: header is there, no different from other
> posts' headers when you view them in the View/Options dialog.
> Charles seems
> to be using a Japanese-language Outlook and Bryan for some reason has set
> his mailer to multipart MIME. Bryan's headers display correctly when he
> mails me directly, but not when it goes through panix. Doug says he has no
> such problems with Eudora on Mac.
>
> I filter all mails without a From field - I normally wouldn't even preview
> them anyway - and have to pick LbO messages out of the Deleted
> Items folder
> going by their subject line.
>
> I haven't got Hebrew or Japanese language support on my PC.
>
> Any ideas?

Only a tangential one. I subscribe to the list with a distinct email address. That way, all list email comes to me via a distinct account. I then setup a rule to automatically move messages sent on that account to a folder. That way, I don't have to worry/care about these inevitable idiosyncrasies.

Is that an option for you? Changing your list subscription to a distinct address so you can filter by account rather than mucking with the details of the headers?

Cheers,

// mark

p.s. Sorry for starting this off topic thread, but I figured others might like the tool.