NY Daily News struts its stuff

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Sun Jan 13 17:22:17 PST 2002

We accept this challenge and plan on making the Daily News eat its hat.

Thank god that the tabloids are running articles like this. This generates just the right kind of publicity that plays into our plans.

I'll be the protestors spend more money around New York than the rich guys will.

Chuck0

Doug Henwood wrote:

> New York Daily News - January 13. 2002
>
> Confab Welcome, Crazies Not
>
> In an extraordinary act of solidarity with New York City, the World Economic
> Forum - a fixture in the picture-perfect Alpine ski resort of Davos,
> Switzerland, since 1971 - will convene Jan. 31 a few miles north of Ground
> Zero. Alas, so will legions of agitators who despise free enterprise and
> whose demonstrations have a habit of devolving into riots.
>
> Message to protesters: New Yorkers have suffered enough of late. We're mad
> as hell and we're not going to take it anymore. You have a right to free
> speech, but try to disrupt this town, and you'll get your anti-globalization
> butts kicked. Capish?
>
> New York welcomes the business, political and academic leaders as they hold
> Earth's bluest blue-chip convention - and spend their money and expend their
> brainpower in this, the vital center of world commerce. Some 2,200 CEOs,
> presidents, prime ministers and other assorted worldbeaters will be
> arriving. This is where they belong, and their presence will provide more
> proof that the city is up and running and will right itself from the
> cataclysm of Sept. 11.
>
> Unfortunately, gatherings like this attract parasites. The presence of
> players such as Bill Gates, Warren Buffett, Bill Clinton and their European
> and Asian counterparts - as well as another Davos veteran, Mike Bloomberg -
> will be a magnet for the anarchists, insurrectionists, syndicalists and
> assorted kooks who've marred confabs in Davos, Seattle, Genoa, Salzburg and
> Melbourne.
>
> New York's Finest are prepared for the onslaught - and no police department
> in the world is better at crowd control. Police Commissioner Ray Kelly has
> been conferring with the feds and other law enforcement experts. A massive
> "frozen zone" will be enforced in midtown. Attention will be paid. Measures
> will be taken.
>
> This must be made abundantly clear to protesters, many of whom are hobbled
> by fuzzy thought processes. Consider the complaints of some that a WEF
> conference in New York is a waste of money because the funds could be better
> spent helping World Trade Center victims. Hello? The World Trade Center
> victims include the folks who have been suffering economically since Sept.
> 11: the hotel and restaurant workers, cab drivers and the rest of the labor
> force now laboring to make ends meet. They are glad to have the forum here.
> Peaceful protesters - even those deluded enough to believe that McDonald's
> and The Gap are evil incarnate - may demonstrate. But Davos delegates are
> not to be terrorized, either by the wackos or the truly vicious who like to
> use crowds of wackos for camouflage.
>
> New York will not be terrorized. We already know what that's like.
> Chant your slogans. Carry your banners. Wear your gas masks. Just don't test
> our patience. Because we no longer have any.

-- << Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).