Electoral College reform (Re: Enron

Seth Ackerman sia at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jan 14 15:22:29 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Which it would literally take a revolution to do, since the Senate
> can't be abolished without the unanimous consent of the states -
> something Montana and Vermont would never consent to.

What about using a constitutional convention? Or would it still require unanimous consent?

There's one thing the ruling class hates about our system of local power: it gums up the works when it comes to negotiating foreign trade deals. Under proportional representation, the president would have no problem getting fast-track authority. But with the fate of every sugar farm and steel mill occupying the mind of every local congressmember, the United States is the most difficult country to pass a trade deal in.

Seth