Up and down the road to a big anti-war movement

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Tue Jan 15 18:16:17 PST 2002

Ian Murray wrote:

> The protestors should not antagonize the police.
> If the cops attack, sit down or dance away from
> them, escalatory dynamics will fail completely.
> The police are not the enemy. How many times do we
> have to tell each other that. Sounds like NYCer's
> could use a big street party and chill out.
> Anarchists and everyone else brave enough to risk
> the upcoming DA can not afford to screw this demo
> up. Focusing on Justice and Peace and
> International Solidarity can keep protestors
> adrenaline within managable levels. It ain't about
> righteousness and militancy...

Shit, why do anarchists get blamed for stuff that hasn't happened yet!?

People are going to defend themselves from the police attacks. Others will run away. Some will nonviolently resist. This is the nature of the anti-globalization movement: different strokes for different folks.

Besides, anything that we do is going to be tame compared to what happens elsewhere in the world. Don't forget that the latest casualties in the anti-globalization movement took place in Argentina.

Last time somebody screwed up the anti-glob movement, it was the cowards who work for the NGOs.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).