Krugman: Crony Capitalism, U.S.A.

Vikash Yadav vikash1 at ssc.upenn.edu
Wed Jan 16 08:20:13 PST 2002

Max,

Hi. Most of my knowledge of Enron scam is based on reading newspaper articles in the Hindu (Madras), and the Financial Express (New Delhi). I think many of the articles are available through Lexis-Nexis (and Google Advance Search - enter name "Dabhol" and Financial Express).

There is also an interesting report by Human Rights Watch on Enron, located at:

http://www.hrw.org/reports/1999/enron/

The report discusses the civil and human rights violations that were associated with Enron's "fast track" approval process in India and the subsequent suppression of protests by villagers and Indian environmental activists.

The foremost expert on the India angle of the Enron scam is Kandula Subramaniam, Assistant Editor of the Financial Express (New Delhi). If you would like his e-mail, please feel free to contact me off-list.

I think the Enron fiasco will have a long lasting impact in India, where this scam has played into the xenophobic attitude of the Hindu nationalists.

Best,

Vikash Yadav Philadelphia, PA

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Max B. Sawicky Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 8:38 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Krugman: Crony Capitalism, U.S.A.

I appreciate this. Can you provide other citations?

max sawicky

Hopefully, some of the US media will pick up the scent and follow the trail overseas where Enron's corruption is now coming to light. The sad point of all this is that Enron is only the tip of the iceberg, as Arundhati Roy's new book Power Politics shows, US power companies are fully entangled in questionable development schemes throughout the developing countries.

Vikash Yadav Philadelphia, PA