Up and down the road to a big anti-war movement

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Wed Jan 16 09:43:19 PST 2002

Doug Henwood wrote:

> First of all, people who smash windows aren't "violence freaks." You
> may not like what they do, but it's pretty minor league stuff. By
> using that phrase, you're accepting the ruling class's perception of
> things. I can understand how the ruling class might, in their
> demented fantasies, see any challenge to their rule as a form of
> violence, but we don't have to play along. And second, what do you
> want "the vast number of activists" to do? Surround the
> window-smashers? Call the cops? And third, don't you agree that it
> helps the "vast number" of activists that there are some crazies
> around, to whom they can seem like reasonable alternatives?

The frat boys in College Park have caused more monetary damage in property destruction during their riots than any local black bloc ever did.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).