Up and down the road to a big anti-war movement

Chuck Munson chuck at tao.ca
Wed Jan 16 10:35:15 PST 2002

Nathan Newman wrote:

> Chuck, you don't speak for the movement, despite your rhetoric, and you
> weren't the only one at these protests. I met you down in DC and when I was
> there, the Black Bloc folks came by our corner and indsicrimiantely started
> fucking with private cars parked on the street and tried to set them on
> fire. That ain't corporate property.

No, like CTV said about me: "Chuck Munson isn't like most protestors."

I don't speak for the movement, but I think I speak for the significant portion that doesn't have problems with property destruction.

I believe the cars the BB was fucking with were media vehicles.

> Sure, they hit Starbucks and McDonalds. They also have hit small shops
> along the way at most of the protests.

Yes, they have, but small stores aren't the targets, despite the fact that small capitalists can be worse than big corporate capitalists. And there will always be a few people who get carried away. It's unfair to judge a tactic and a protestor tendency by these people.

Of course, the stuff that happens in the U.S. is small potatoes compared to what's happening in Argentina and elsewhere.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).