Up and down the road to a big anti-war movement

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 16 11:28:50 PST 2002

http://nuance.dhs.org/lbo-talk/0201/1239.html CB: So are you saying you would have supported the U.S. and other imperialists countries invading the Soviet Union in 1919, U.S. economic blockade of the SU after the invasion was defeated, U.S. troops in Nicaragua in the 1920's, no war against the Nazis after the invasion of the SU, U.S. war on Korea and Viet Nam, invasion of Cuba contras in several countries in the eighties , oppose the colonial national liberation movements of the 50's , 60's and 70's nuclear arms escalation ? If not, you would be agreeing with much of CP's foreign "policy" positions over its history.

Jeesh, Charles! Nathan can of coarse articulate his positions quite well but, I'd think that since he was active in Committees of Correspondence in the Bay Area in the early 90's (and it may surprise you I'm on good terms with a # of their members here like Giulana Milanese, who left the CPUSA in '91, so a big raspberry to your , "red-baiting, " charge about us perfidious socdems with a slight neo-Trot touch) he knows the disingenuousness your tradition displays way too often quite well.

I'm sure you read on the CoC/CCDS list portside the debate between Carl Davidson, ex-SDS, ex-Maoist and David McReynolds of the SPUSA, CofC/CCDS,WRL and DSA, where Carl scored direct hits at the weakest points of the McReynolds p.o.v.

Y'all, in the dwindling dinosaur sector of the left, always accuse your opponents of being stooges of Imperialism. And, some of us in anger at the cop baiting BS and "Running Dog of Imperialism!, " canard, get to the edge of agreeing with a fellow named Kevin Keating a/k/a "Nestor Makhno, "(ChuckO can give you a lesson on that Russian anarchist) here in S.F. at a meeting the other night I went to full of Trots and Stalinists and independent leftists, on Argentina, that (paraphrase) the Left and working class movement, insofar as the Left, still has residual sectors that are unreconstructed Stalinists, are two different phenomena.

Back to the above excerpt from Charles> Slandereous chargers that Nathan or I or others that are anti-Stalinist, would have supported the White Army/US intervention against the young Soviet Union. Hooey.

Nazis and and fSU? See a book reviewed in the newest issue of Workers Liberty, I cited yesterday (the PRC and AIDS thread), "Fedding The German Eagle, " by John Ericson. On the period from '39-'41. When much Soviet armaments went to Nazi Germany. The entire Polish Communist Party leadership sent from Moscow to the concentration camps of the Nazis. (see article on this in Isaac Deutscher, "Marxism, Wars and Revolutions, " "The Traged of the Polish C.P. Published by Verso Books. Also see, "The Stalinist Legacy, " ed. by Tariq Ali, Lynne Rienner pubs. copiesfor sale at http://www.bolerium.com )

Nuclear arms race? Would you have called E.P. Thompson a US stooge for opposing the cruise missiles of the US and the Soviet SS-20's?

Contras? Ward Churchill supported the Miskito Indians vs. the FSLN. I betcha Nathan as I was was active in CISPES and Nicaragua solidarity work back then.

Enough. As Trotsky said Stalinism is the syphilis of the Left.

Get your VD shot.

Michael Pugliese