The case against conspiracy

Chip Berlet cberlet at igc.org
Wed Jan 16 12:55:26 PST 2002

Hi,

Cockburn and St. Claire are hardly pontificating.

This is a red herring. It was a U.S. Naval Base.

> 2. An unsuccessful (the main target, the aircraft carriers,
> having been sent safely to sea beforehand) attack on a
> major military base can scarcely rank as any sort of "massacre"

Few military historians consider the attack a minor event, it seriously hurt the U.S. Navy, and it cost the lives of 2,300 people--a massacre by most reasonable standards.

> 3. The very name "Pearl Harbor," for all but the ignorant,
> is virtually synonymous with "a provoked and expected
> attack, permitted to happen for the purpose of shocking
> the American public into enthusiastic support for a war
> that it had previously refused to accept."

This is a novel and dubious definition for "Pearl Harbor," unless you spend your time reading right-wing conspiracy tracts. I have seen this type of rhetoric primarily in the tomes from the Liberty Lobby booklist and its newspaper The Spotlight. Often this thesis is a small step away from antisemitic conspiracy theory.

Roosevelt...hmmmm...wasn't it really Rosenfeld?

Sigh...

-Chip Berlet