The case against conspiracy

Max Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Jan 16 13:53:14 PST 2002

Around here I have to stipulate that I see the U.S. role in WWII as a great contribution to humanity.

That aside, to me massacre connotes an attack by one force on another where the strengths of the two are grossly disproportionate, and the stronger side elects to exploit its advantage by attempting to murder their opposition wholesale. There is also the connotation that the extent of force used has a gratuitous dimension. This doesn't sound like Pearl Harbor, where the Japanese effort, whatever you think of their motivation, was directed against a large, heavily armed opposition, and where their intent was not the destruction of life per se but of naval ships. There were huge numbers of casualties in various Civil War battles, but most people wouldn't call them massacres.

mbs