Bill to reinstate draft

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Thu Jan 17 13:44:34 PST 2002

I think Universal Military Service is a good idea. It makes people hate the army and doesn't put the burden of service on the poor. It also makes for a less ideologically coherent (right wing) military. jks

Well,

The shop has full Viet era representation: ARVN, US Army, Navy, Air Force, CAWDR (commie anti-war draft resistor)---and we all agree. A new draft is a good idea.

I am probably alone in motivation. I can not think of a faster, more efficient way to begin the implosion of Empire and devolution of neoliberalism.

But I wouldn't delude myself about who pays. The burden always falls on the poor. And even under a universal system, it would be the poor who would be in the worst jobs.

Chuck Grimes