Bill to reinstate draft

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Thu Jan 17 18:19:21 PST 2002

On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Chuck Grimes wrote:

> But I wouldn't delude myself about who pays. The burden always falls
> on the poor. And even under a universal system,

which of course our system never is. There's a reason it was called Selective service. We're too big a country; we never needed more than a fraction of the cohort available. And that was then. Nowadays with the new automation even the smaller European countries who really believed in universal service on principle are giving it up for a smaller, more professional force. So a draft would be even more selective.

Michael