violence achieves nothing?

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Thu Jan 17 21:31:31 PST 2002

Nathan.Newman writes:

>Those who like to paint the GOP >and Dems as being the same don't >like
that analysis, but the fact is >that Fast Track and new WTO >talks both failed under
>Clinton, while both have been >pushed through under Bush. The >difference
is not that Clinton-style >Dems are everything we want, but >that they can be pressured for >results based on their need for our >continued electoral
>support, while the GOP doesn't >have to care at all. Of course, >that
implies that progressives need >to credibly be able to threaten to >withhold support
>but they equally have to be able to >promise electoral victory if their
>demands are met.

The WTO talks have floundered of late because enough other countries both developed and developing know that when the American trade reps and presidents say 'free trade' they mean 'managed, brokered' trade that benefits the interests arrayed behind the government in Washington. Clinton was even more American-first than his half-wit predecessor and was told exactly where to stick it. Unlike the WB or IMF or even the UN, the WTO is the only place where the US consistently loses now.

Charles Jannuzi