Mark Twain on economic issues

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 18 17:37:11 PST 2002

Carl Remick wrote:

> Seems I underrated Twain's targeting of capitalism. He certainly enjoyed
> speculating though -- but then again, didn't Marx on occasion?

I don't really think you erred. It is quite to the point that Twain spoke of "capitalists" not "capitalism." As in the _Mysterious Stranger_ the focus is the evil (most) individuals do when they get a chance. Huck is going to light out for the territory -- not try to bring some decency to "civilization."

Still, Twain is wonderful. Thinking of the NYPD, the Cincinnati PD, and several hundred other PDs, one could say that "The United States of Lyncherdom" is still current events.

Carrol