lefties stop your whining

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Sun Jan 20 08:47:04 PST 2002

Ian Murray wrote:

> Why the Left should stop whining
> New world politics throws up new challenges - to those who seek practical solutions and to
> anti-globalisation nihilists
> The globalisation debate - Observer special
>
> Peter Hain
> Sunday January 20, 2002
> The Observer
>
> Globalisation is a force that does not allow the luxury of saying, 'Stop, I want to get off'. It is
> impossible to stop satellite television, the internet and telecommunications. It is impossible to
> ban air travel or pop culture; impossible to ban the mobility of capital. The question, therefore,
> is not whether it can be stopped or abolished. Globalisation is a fact of life and the real question
> is: 'What sort of globalisation do we want and how can we get it?'

This article is more unintelligible than Jon Katz's ignorant rants about globalization on Slashdot. At least Katz paid attention to the feedback and got globalization right in his later essays. At first, he demonstrated the same conflation of globalization with "internationalism." Of course, as LBO subscribers know, globalization is a scheme by the wealthy to circumvent the usual checks and balances on their ability to make profits.

I have yet to hear one anti-globalization activist complain about the Internet, or any of these things that Hain is thinking about when he writes about globalization.

Is the other side this stupid, or are they deliberately confusing people.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).