Paperless Ships and Furry Terrors

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Sun Jan 20 13:36:38 PST 2002

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> chuck! remember gopher?!
>

> Probably not directed at me, but I remember gopher. There were a
> couple of other internet search and retrieval systems that I've
> forgotten the name of now (Archie?). Probably nostalgia, but I seem to
> remember they worked about ten times faster and were a lot less loaded
> with shit. Speaking of shit, sounds like the cruiser runs on NT.

yes archie i think you could use to search for software on anonymous ftp servers (and then there were other outgrowths i think with names like veronica etc ;-)). there was WAIS - wide area information system or some such expansion. i must admit however that i did find the web an easier and more fun interface than gopher or wais.

--ravi