Planning

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Sun Jan 20 18:40:44 PST 2002

Carrol Cox wrote:

> Gar Lipow wrote:
> > factory work does not neccesarily have to be
> > alienating.
>
> When I worked in a factory it wasn't the alienatin -- it was the pure
> continuous physical misery. I think if (a) factories were built first
> for comfort, secondly for productivity and (b) no one worked in one for
> more than 15 hours a week, 35 weeks a year, and 4 or 5 years in a
> lifetime they might become tolerable.

What if everybody in your community didn't want to work in the factory? Who would force them to work? If the residents of a community had all the food they needed, clothes, shelter, and intellectual stimulation, which carrot or stick is going to be offered to get them to spend time in a factory?

Are we going to produce pots and pans or automobiles?

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).