Brits upset about prisoner treatment

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Sun Jan 20 23:33:35 PST 2002

Guantanamo Bay--known as Gitmo in DoD speak--is a nasty place. Even the US personnel there have high rates of crack ups, suicide, divorce, etc. etc. I believe it was supposed to be the setting for that truly terrible Tom Cruise movie, Code Red (though it's better than Vanilla Sky, because there were at least two other actors capable of acting in it). In that Code Red movie a frontline unit of Marines were involved in hazing one troop to death. I'm sure after watching it, most Americans still didn't realize the US maintains a military outpost on 'enemy' territory. Of course the movie was pretty fucking stupid because it pulls all its punches and lets Jack Nicholson have all the good lines (Truth? You don't want the truth!) with or without the backdrop (which looked more like Monterey to me). It does say something that it was actually improved because the armed forces DID NOT provide cooperation in its making.

Would it be possible for British lawyers to use Cuban law to challenge US extra-territoriality there and assert the right for different treatment and trial under Cuban law? (Please note, that doesn't mean I'm asking for a discussion of political prisoners in Cuba.)

Charles Jannuzi