Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 20 22:43:47 PST 2002

I said: >>I've read Marshall Sahlins too. It's very nice if you want half
>>your kids to
>>die before the age of 5 and you yourself don't mind being old at 30 and
>>dead
>>at 45 of diseases that could be be avoided by vaccination or cured by
>>antiobiotics, or just plain starvation. Anyway, you ever hear about not
>>being able to go home again?
>>
>>jks (a big fan of modern technology, especially anesthetics)
>>

>no i never heard of not being able to go home again - you have to excuse
>me for not grasping the meaning.

Thomas Wolfe wrote a now-little read novel called You can't Go Homre Again. The point is that even if hunter-gather societieswere totally idyllic, we, who came from them millenia ago, cannot retuen to thor form of life short of a siocial disaster tahtwould destroy civilization.

i too love the technology that i
>surround myself with but i do not know if the tribal people want to or
>not want to have their kids die at 5 or themselves to die at 45 etc. do
>you think they too would share your preference for your life over
>theirs?

Some do, some don't. I am opposedto imposing it on anyone who doesn't wantto live it, but that wasn't the issue here.

i am new to this stuff and havent read sahlins, but doesnt
>bodley try to show that tribals actually have resisted "civilization"
>and thus shown a preference for their way of life? if he is right, then
>would you say their choices are uninformed?

Can'ta nswer the question in the abstract. But even if the choice si uninformed, it's their choice. But I wasn't aware we were discussing the fate of stone age societies in the modern world.

or does "you cannot
>return
>home" mean that the tribal person might have that choice but i do not?

It means at least that.

jks