Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Mon Jan 21 08:03:01 PST 2002

michael pugliese wrote:

> Chuck0 mentions Food Not Bombs. Living in the Tenderloin in
> S.F. their soup give away in the Civic Center around 6 p.m. gets
> a bit of an audience if the hungry homeless miss the earlier
> line at Glide Memorial.(Of which, more in a second.) I've known
> folks that have gotten sick because the food was not refridgerated.
> Stored in someone's garage.Keith McHenry is a great guy who was
> a founder of FnB so I don't blame him. (Heard he was working
> in Phoenix for Goodwill.)Back in the early 90's esp. the were
> big protests to defend FnB from the SFPD which then and later
> would periodically arrest the FnB folks over a lack of the proper
> permits that all other non-profits/soup kitchens have as a matter
> of course. Which FnB refuses, out of anarchist principle, to
> apply for. I've always suspected that the food handling problem
> is part of their stubborn refusal. Plus the agit-prop value of
> the periodic police harassment.

Food Not Bombs is an international network of autonomous local groups. Some of them do comply with permit regulations, but most do not. The SF FNB practice of not getting a permit has nothing to do with food handling issues. That charge is simply a pretext the city has used to arrest group members and to give the group bad PR. The whole idea is that sharing food is a basic human practice.

Of course nobody wants to eat food that makes us sick, but we all already take that crapshoot whenever we eat out.

<< Chuck0 >>

Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Factsheet 5 -> http://www.factsheet5.org/ AIM: AgentHelloKitty

Web publishing and services for your nonprofit: Bread and Roses Web Publishing http://www.breadandrosesweb.org/

INTERNATIONALISM IN PRACTICE

An American soldier in a hospital explained how he was wounded: He said, "I was told that the way to tell a hostile Vietnamese from a friendly Vietnamese was to shout ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ If he shoots, he’s unfriendly. So I saw this dude and yelled ‘To hell with Ho Chi Minh!’ and he yelled back, ‘To hell with President Johnson!’ We were shaking hands when a truck hit us."

(from 1,001 Ways to Beat the Draft, by Tuli Kupferburg).