Hispanics Targeted in Fake Drug Cases

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 21 08:42:23 PST 2002

Hispanics Targeted in Fake Drug Cases The Associated Press, Sun 20 Jan 2002

DALLAS (AP) — Hispanics may have been targeted by police in narcotics cases based on fake drugs, their attorneys allege. Some of the defendants were deported because of the drug charges.

District Attorney Bill Hill has announced that his office is working to dismiss 59 cases, some involving two undercover police narcotics officers, who have been placed on administrative leave, and at least one paid confidential informant who no longer works for the department.

The FBI has been asked to investigate, Hill said Friday.

Thirty-nine people had been arrested as a result of the 59 cases.

``The majority of defendants involved are Mexican nationals, which to me looks like they were targets,'' attorney Cynthia Barbare said.

Attorney Tony Wright called the cases ``the epitome of racial profiling.''

``The police knew they were picking on people that would be deported,'' he said.

Dallas Police Chief Terrell Bolton has said the department is reviewing 70 narcotics buys initiated by the paid confidential informant since 1999. Tests on seized evidence in some of those case found no drugs or only minute amounts of illegal material mixed with powdered gypsum, the chalky material used in plaster board.

``We're watching to see how this unfolds,'' said Will Harrell, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Texas. ``If all these cases are dismissed and these people are released, litigation may not be necessary.''

However, Barbare said she's filing civil rights lawsuits on behalf of her two clients involved in fake drug cases. In both cases, lab tests revealed the alleged drugs were gypsum.

One of her clients, Abel Santos, 26, a mechanic at his family's shop in Dallas, was arrested July 16 on a charge of possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance over 400 grams, Barbare said.

After an informant claimed Santos had shown him drugs, police got a search warrant and found alleged drugs in an old pickup truck outside the garage, Barbare said.

A field test was positive for cocaine but lab results showed the substance was gypsum. The charge was dismissed Nov. 1, but Santos, who emigrated to the United States illegally some 15 years ago, was deported.

Santos denies ever possessing, using or selling cocaine.

``At first, I thought it was a mistake,'' Santos said in a telephone interview from Monterrey, Mexico. ``This is the kind of thing that happens somewhere else, like in Mexico, but not in the United States.''

He would like to return, but doesn't know if that's possible.

``We're trying to see what we can work out with an immigration attorney,'' Barbare said. ``I don't know how successful we'll be. I think it's going to be difficult.'' ———

Associated Press writer Dino Chiecchi contributed to this report.

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 http://www.yaysoft.com