Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Jan 21 17:14:14 PST 2002

At 07:33 PM 1/21/02 -0500, Chuck Munson wrote:
>ravi wrote:
>
> > so what about the benefits that high tech brings? lot of folks are
> > responding with examples of how their own lives were saved by high tech
> > medical equipment... how do you address that?
>
>What about the billions of people who lead miserable lives so that we in
>the industrialized North can enjoy high tech?
>
>It's not like we have *replicators* that make this high tech stuff.
>
>Does anybody on this list work in a factory? A farm? Are there any
>subscribers from the Global South who work in factories who can share
>their thoughts?

i've done pretty much every shitty job in the world, it feels like sometimes. but yes, i've worked in a factory. i've listened to the clanking day in and day out. out also worked in a food production factory, pumping out thousands where an eight hour day could be spent simply slicing carrots. the next four would be cooking at a catering event. and the next day might mean making swans out of melons, so not quite the same thing, but, it can still be tedious as all get out. if we all didn't have the joy of feeding people and seeing the results of our work, we would have hated it far more than we did. with that experience, i found it enjoyable to mop floors and scrub fish scales of sinks, wales, and weighing scales when i did cleaning work for a seafood delivery company. i knew what it was like to come in to work in a clean place. i also knew that keeping the place clean would prevent people from getting sick. so, scrubbing the toilet and restaurant grade sink didn't bother me. i thought about how nice and shiney it all looked later, and how nice it would be for the folks who came in the morning.

when people know what kind of mess they leave, they pick it up. that's why in every workplace i've ever worked, you see women picking up after themselves more oftne than men.

i think under different conditions, no one _has_ to lead a miserable life in order to support the rest of the world. you make the claim that factory production can only do that. i don't think so, since all you've observed is an historical coincidence and haven't demonstrated how factory work/highly specialized division of labor _causes_ misery. in my mind, the misery is caused by class society.