Who Does No Work, Shall Not Eat

Cian O'Connor cian_oconnor at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 22 04:41:25 PST 2002

--- kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net
> i think under different conditions, no one _has_ to
> lead a miserable life
> in order to support the rest of the world. you make
> the claim that factory
> production can only do that. i don't think so, since
> all you've observed is
> an historical coincidence and haven't demonstrated
> how factory work/highly
> specialized division of labor _causes_ misery. in my
> mind, the misery is
> caused by class society.

I knew a few people who've worked both on your typical production floor, and in more high tech factories where groups assemble a product. They much preferred the latter. There's some evidence that the results are better as well.

I've met people who quite liked working in a factory. They found the monotony kind of soothing.