Carmen Electra with the troops

Vikash Yadav vikash1 at ssc.upenn.edu
Tue Jan 22 06:57:12 PST 2002

Hakki,

I did not see the pictures of Carmen Electra, but there are pictures of J-lo on a military jet at the MTV site if you do a search on "USO" and look through the "Behind the Scenes" photo flipbook. There is even an amusing picture of Kid Rock taking a military grunt to a fast food restaurant.

In any case, I think you are right that there are uncanny links in the USO show/farce to Verhoeven's rendition of Strarship Troopers. On the DVD version of the movie Verhoeven talks about how he made Starship Troopers as a conscious attempt to incorporate some of Noam Chomsky's ideas on manufacturing consent. I wonder what others think of Verhoeven's endeavor.

Best,

Vikash Yadav Philadelphia, PA

-----Original Message----- From: owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com [mailto:owner-lbo-talk at lists.panix.com]On Behalf Of Hakki Alacakaptan Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2002 6:50 AM To: Lbo-Talk Subject: Carmen Electra with the troops

I've become a bit obsessed with the Talk mag images of Carmen Electra on an M-1 Abrams surrounded by grunts in Fritz helmets. This cheap USO spoof is emblematic of the easy slide of US popular culture into a one-dimensional blend of shopping, entertainment, junk food, sex, and warmongering. That photo shoot gives me flashbacks of Verhoeven's prophetic film Starship Troopers. As we don't get Talk mag here - I saw the pics in the Turkish papers - I was wondering if anyone could scan a pic or two from that shoot for me, as newsprint stock doesn't do them justice?

Thanks in advance, and haha in advance for your wisecracks :-)

Hakki