US and Geneva Conventions

Charles Brown CharlesB at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu Jan 24 11:23:28 PST 2002

US and Geneva Conventions

P.J.Wells at open.ac.uk

Charles Brown wrote:

> CB: Yes. The U.S. is a signatory to the Geneva Conventions, and U.S.
Conventions, so _theoretically_ these treaties are "the supreme law of the land" in the U.S. , and Bush's violating them is a high crime or misdemeanor.

Only a signatory to some of them, according to a newspaper report here in the UK (Guardian or Independent). For example, apparently there's a convention on the use of air power that the U.S. hasn't signed -- if it had, quite a few of its targets in the Balkans and Afghanistan would have been off-limits.

And, of course, there's the land-mines issue...

Julian

^^^^^^

CB: Thanks Julian. I think the U.S. signed on to humane treatment of prisoners of war.

( Above I had written "U.S. Conventions" . I meant "UN Conventions")