Cooper on KPFK

rhisiart at earthlink.net rhisiart at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 12:38:33 PST 2002

At 11:35 AM 1/28/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Nathan Newman wrote:
>
>>That Cooper continues to defend them means that he has lost all credibility
>>with me.
>
>Defend whom?

marc shubb, a shill of the old pacifica board. himself, a shill of the old pacifica board. most importantly, he lies about the facts, events, and other matters happening today with the pacifica board and KPFK. he's not a factual source for criticism, comment, or opinion!

the "whom" he's defending is himself. purely self-serving and biased.

>The old Pacifica board? Marc didn't - he thought they were a gang of
>third-rate hacks. As do I.

i've never heard cooper say this. and he has no constructive program for improving pacifica. he accepted gag orders -- not just the kind that keep internal struggles off the air --- the kind which prevented listeners from getting announcement of meetings, demonstrations, etc., on the air which the broadcasters wanted to air. he stood by while popular programs were taken off the air because their moderators refused to obey schubbs draconian orders.

in not one of the memos, and there have been others, like the one you posted on this message board, doug, did he ever tell the truth about the difficulties with the board or the fact that former manager schubb was driving the best programs off the air with demands that the broadcasters allow all programing to become the property of the pacifica foundation, etc.

cooper is a reactionary critizing the current changes at pacifica and KPFK while ignoring the serious, deep, corruption that made them necessary before pacifica turned into a pale reflection of NPR, and stations were sold off to cover the profligate spending and nest feathering of the old board.

cooper is writing biased propaganda. totally partial, totally untrue, totally unfactual, totally self-serving. nothing he said is critical of the actions of the old board and nothing is critical of schubb who was a toadie for the old board.

doug, it appears you are letting your personal feelings about cooper cloud your judgement about what he is saying. sure, it's OK to take him seriously. but don't believe him; he's too personally involved and very bitter.

>What I'm concerned about is that the Restoration will cause people to
>overlook the dwindling and aging audience. I'm constantly running into
>people who cheered the dissidents when they were dissidents and now cheer
>their victory, only to admit that they never listen to a Pacifica station.

in Los Angeles, people who cheer the changes listen to, and donate to, the station. otherwise, they don't care, and wouldn't even know that there were any changes.

>A peak listenership of 20,000 or so in a market of 20 million is pretty
>damned pathetic. In the mid-70s, WBAI was the highest-rated FM station in NYC.
>
>Doug

people always rally to pacifica when there's trouble and they want factual information about it. that's why pacifica must continue to be the "left wing" station it was intended to be -- not because it has high listener ratings during the dull times but because it has to be able to reach and inform people when they need it most.