Cooper on KPFK

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Mon Jan 28 16:32:50 PST 2002

>What I'm concerned about is
>that the Restoration will cause people to overlook the dwindling and
>aging audience. A peak
>listenership of 20,000 or so in a market of 20 million is pretty
>damned pathetic.

I don't disagree on that and I fit the mold of people who rarely listened to either KPFA or WBAI; I probably spent more time listening to rightwing talk radio because it was more entertaining. I am all for better programming and more real outreach with such a valuable asset.

But that is a separate issue from the old Pacifica board hiring union busters and generally violating every democratic canon possible. For Cooper to complain about "top-down" decision-making is completely hypocritical at this point. The issue is not top-down or grassroots, but democratic accountability of any kind.

Hell, I'm all for voting for Democratic hacks for political office, as you well know, but I don't want them running left institutions. I want lefties running left institutions and then I'll happily criticize them and fight to improve them. But the bottom line is making sure they stay in left hands.

And Cooper seems to miss that point.

Nathan Newman