slogans

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 28 15:29:09 PST 2002

Doug said:

>Someone on the Reclaim The Streets-NYC list proposed this morning
>that "capitalism, no thanks/we will burn your fucking banks" - a
>chant from Seattle I loved, and put on the front page of the LBO
>website when I was posting from there - be a slogan for this week's
>demos in New York. When I suggested that the broader public might
>find this monstrous, this militant responded:
>
> >i might add, that most of the concern shown for the 'broader public'
> >is really a western concern. the people of argentina, and others of
> >the global south, who have taken to the streets in the thousands have
> >no such compunction. but that is also because they don't enjoy the
> >astonishing
> >quality of life we do. i don't feel that pandering to a complacent
>public
> >_works_, and i don't view my role on the street for propaganda purposes
> >only. so we feel differently? that's fine. but what i hate is when
> >people think there is only one road to one end. but that isn't true
> >is it? and that's the problem. there are many roads and just as many
> >'endings.' you want to take care of the public? cool. but i want to
> >strike fear into the hearts of the ruling class.
>
>Right. It would really strike fear in to the hearts of the ruling
>class for the protesters to cast themselves as indistinguishable from
>al Qaeda.
>
>I hope there aren't many idiots like this coming to town....
>
>Doug

Granted that the poster was largely incoherent in the response, Doug, why do you think such a slogan will make a difference one way or the other? I would imagine that the broader public think this already i.e. demonstrators = violence = terrorists = al Quaeda.

In a similar vein, when do you think it will be "safe" to show a level of militancy similar to what the poster thought fit i.e. a slogan around the New York area? I'll be surprised if 9/11 isn't remembered and broadcast around the globe for the next century or two.

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx