slogans

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Jan 28 15:36:00 PST 2002

Todd Archer wrote:

>Granted that the poster was largely incoherent in the response,
>Doug, why do you think such a slogan will make a difference one way
>or the other? I would imagine that the broader public think this
>already i.e. demonstrators = violence = terrorists = al Quaeda.
>
>In a similar vein, when do you think it will be "safe" to show a
>level of militancy similar to what the poster thought fit i.e. a
>slogan around the New York area? I'll be surprised if 9/11 isn't
>remembered and broadcast around the globe for the next century or
>two.

If the broader public thinks that demonstrators = al Qaeda, then agitation and sloganeering have to correct the impression, not reinforce it. Make the guys inside the Waldorf into the real perpetrators of violence. Talking about burning banks is exactly the wrong thing to do. I think militancy itself can be made plausible, if not acceptable. If it's done right.

Doug