slogans

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Tue Jan 29 05:51:19 PST 2002

>On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Michael Pollak wrote:
>
>> Personally I incline to the belief that the most creative
thing protesters
>> could have done was skip this meeting without making a
statement and hit
>> the next one.
>
>I know what you mean, but I can't help but think that the time
for
>standing down has passed (or maybe I'm just getting theological
in my old
>age). The global Left has got to show some maturity, and move
from being
>against things (defense) to offense, and the Big Apple is the
perfect
>place to do it. It's a city which has suffered 25 years of
nightmarish
>neoliberalism, and then a godawful crime against humanity, and
yet it's
>also a place of wondrous diversity, creativity, and the home of
some of
>the nicest people I know. It's time for a militance which is
also a
>healing, a resistance which is also a rebuilding, and the
righteous anger
>of a global justice which makes amends for what has been done in
the past.
>Ground Zero is the canary in the global mine: the telos of
unfettered
>capitalism is total destruction, because when shareholder value
is
>everything, human life becomes nothing. Whatever happens out
there in the
>streets has to be global theater, the worthy successor to Genoa,
>world-class theater for a world-class city.
>
>-- Dennis

Yes, DRR is right on the money if you'll pardon the expression. Personally, I wouldn't bring 9.11 into it. (Americans have a short attention span, anyway ) Why not focus on Enron and Argentina? The cops will be weary and short-fused, so I salute the bravery and courage of anyone willing to mix it up. I hope 1.31 or 2.1 or whatever will be as memorable as other numinous dates.