slogans

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Jan 29 07:40:25 PST 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>To reach at least some segments of the public, we have to do a lot
>of _local_ activist work _before and after_ going to the demo. We
>can't expect that the coverage of the demo in the corporate media
>will be positive, even with the most innocuous slogans.

Who said anything about the media? This is New York City, where there are, on any randomly chosen street corner, thousands of passers by. There aren't many places in this de-urbanized country where you can address so many people just by gathering on a corner. So if people walking through midtown - bankers, secretaries, messengers - see a group of people saying "burn your fucking banks!" they will certainly be alarmed. They won't have to wait for the 11 o'clock news.

Doug