DLC on protest

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Tue Jan 29 12:58:41 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Munson" <chuck at tao.ca>

-Who are these clueless folks? Mainstream Democrats? -Are they aware that the demonstrations in NYC this weekend are part of a -global movement? Or is this just wishful thinking?

An old prof of mine who is currently heavily involved in research on unions working transnationally against corporations (and who has a longtime association with Brazil) has the hopeful view that the fallback in the global justice movement is very US-based; the rest of the world is moving strongly forward with the Social Forum in Brazil.

So we may lose some time in the US, but our own "globalization" connections will keep the movement from disappearing and will pull it forward soon. I hope he's right.

-- Nathan